So I'm starting something new: regular guest posts from my favorite styling/photo goddesses! To kick things off, Maryland wedding photographer (and my personal flat lay idol) Joy Aleman is sharing her 5 styling bag must-haves! Click the links to head straight to Amazon and start filling your own styling bag (because who can get enough of 2-day delivery?) As always, Joy and I have no affiliation with any of these products/brands, we're just big fans. But enough of that! Grab your ribbon and sticky tack, and let's dive in shall we?
"Styling the perfect flat lay starts with having the right tools. I carry a few simple
items that can make a world of difference when it comes to placement and achieving the look I want. Whether you’re styling stationery, food, or your own products, these tools will come in handy!
1. One accessory everyone needs for flat lays is a reflector. This can make a world of difference in your photos (even if you’re using your phone!) I like to prop a reflector to one side of my flat lay to help fill in any shadows and bring light to whatever it is that I’m styling.
2. If you haven't played around with vintage postage stamps yet, you're missing out on one of the most versatile space fillers! Colored stamps are fantastic for bringing out accent colors and adding a little character. And yep, you can get 100 of them for under $10.
3. A mini lint roller! Perfect for picking up little bits of lint and dust that land on your styling boards or fabrics, these little guys have saved me tons of time in Photoshop!
4. Are you ready for my flat lay styling secret weapon? It’s Elmer's Tac 'N Stik. Sometimes getting a ribbon to lay just right or getting little metal items to stop rolling out of place is tough...and that’s where Elmer’s Tac ‘N Stick saves the day! You can place a dab of the clay-like material under pens or round objects that want to roll away. I’ve also used it to create height and dimension by placing it underneath the main subject I want to emphasize. If you ever handle wedding rings or jewelry, this will be your new best friend! It allows you to stack rings anyway you like. Trust me – it’s a game changer!
5. Speaking of ribbons, these are always in my styling bag. A ribbon can really help fill in those gaps where you might be having trouble balancing your composition. It adds an elegant, finished quality as well. If ever I’m working with paper goods like a wedding invitation, I usually reach for a ribbon in the invitation accent color. It’s an easy winner!
"As you do more flat lay styling, you’ll begin to know what your “must-haves” are. To check out a video of me sharing even more of what's in my styling bag, click it here!"